Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Today I am at peace. I've come to terms with some things in my life and I guess it makes me a smarter, wiser person. Somethings will change whether I drive the change or not and just taking the time to enjoy the ride is important. When I become consumed with a future that doesn't yet exist it serves only to spoil the present.

I struggle with this concept daily. Today I made peace with myself that while there are plenty of things I want to be doing, I need to recognize what I am doing. Work is taking off for me and I am actually getting onto the career path I want to be on. This should result in me getting much more satisfaction out of my day job. With the new job came a nice little raise, so my reliance upon the bar will slowly start to wane. I am starting a new bar this weekend and I am excited about learning new and complex drinks and being challenged.

I've been hitting the gym on a semi-regular basis the past few weeks and it has done wonders to my mood and self-esteem. I am making myself a promise that once I am back in shape and back to where I was lifting before that I am going to join a crossfit gym and make it fit into my schedule. Half the reason I moved to where I am is because there is a crossfit gym within walking distance. I could start right now if I wanted to, but I don't want to embarrass myself just yet. I will probably still embarrass myself, but if possible, I want to limit that embarrassment.

I've also been coordinating my company's participation in the special olympics. This is the first real project that I am truly managing and getting it from start to finish on my own at my pace. I am actually incredibly happy that this will be the project that I complete as I leave my department. I participated in the special olympics last year, rather unwillingly, and ended up having one of the most amazing times of my life. I am so excited to be more involved in the program this year and to be working with some of the most sincere and dedicated people I have had the privilege to work with. I'll write more on that as the olympics as they get closer.

The other major thing that happened was that I repaired a severely damaged relationship with Krysten, my ex. I didn't want to write about her and after this I won't, but to be fair it is more about me than her. I told her that we could catch up and check in with one another since we had dated for as long as we did and I was fairly nervous about the entire thing. Our relationship ended rather poorly and with a lot left unresolved so I wasn't exactly eager to see her. I had no idea how I would feel, if I would feel anything for her, how I now viewed her: There were just so many unknowns.

We met at a bar we used to go to and at first things were awkward, but once we got to talking I realized that I was completely over her as I sat talking to her. We talked as friends, not as jilted lovers and it felt really good. One of the things I always loved about her was her personality, it was what I fell for in the first place. Knowing that I could now appreciate her as a friend and not a potential relationship was a major stepping stone for me and my psyche. I left feeling happy for her, but more importantly, happy for myself. It proved to me that in the year and half since we broke up I have still been growing. And I couldn't be more happy about the possibilities that come with that feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I shall buy you two, that way they can battle and race and then I'll know I gave you a handsome steed

    ReplyDelete