Thursday, October 20, 2011

October 20, 2011

Sitting here in the jury assembly room hating everything. The Maricopa superior court deemed me a fitting candidate to potentially serve on a grand jury. Apparently there are 3 trials scheduled for today and there might be close to 150 people in the room so I think the odds of not being picked are pretty good. I hear if I am picked then I could potentially be on a jury for something like 2-3 months. While the idea of not going to healthcare for a few days each week for 2-3 months does sound appealing, I'd rather not have to as this place makes the DMV look awesome. They just called the first group of jurors, apparently we are being called in groups of 10. Most the jurors seemed like pretty normal people, but there was certainly a standout.

Meet Dixie Love. She appears to be a middle-aged southern lady with a meth problem. Patchy skin, missing tooth and horrible BO somewhat confirms this theory. She was sitting across from me. When your name is called you are supposed to respond "here" and retrieve a juror badge. She responded "present". Anyone remember the kid in school who would spend present instead of here or who would emphasize the A's in data? That was Dixie Love, except with a southern, toothless draw.

Good news! They have switched the TV next to me to Roseanne instead of the news because let's face it: Gadhafi's death and subsequent fall of his regime pales in comparison to the trials of tribulations facing the Connors. I hope DJ doesn't act up or Darlene just casually rebels while wearing flannel. Why is it that the people that should be selected for juries are never selected but the people who look like they spent last night licking the street outside of bars do? If I am ever in a courtroom setting and my fate is left up to people like this then I am convinced that the terrorists have won. Why try to destroy our culture through physical violence when our own cultural decay will rot us like the morbidly obese nation we have become? I realize I sound dreadfully cynical but it is hard not to be when you are placed in a situation like this. I was reassured by a judge that this was going to be a fulfilling and rewarding civic duty. Frankly, I am happy to just not be eligible for service for two more years. I figured I would sit next to the other girl that has an iPad that way we can be judged as the elite together.

Speaking of, I rode my bike past the laughable occupy Phoenix protest. I think there were seven people who refused to be moved. The dedication and commitment to this noble cause is truly an inspiration our founding fathers would be proud of, sigh. People come into my bar each weekend and talk to me about how great the event is and show me their signs against the 1%. Then they excuse themselves from the conversation to answer an important call on their iPhone. The hypocrisy of these individuals is abhorrent. I like the protests in theory, but when they are treated as a social event then the power of the protest diminishes. People in Phoenix are missing the point, as usual. It's hard to be optimistic about change and progress when you are surrounding by these individuals. If I lived in a different political climate my tone might be more positive.

In other news we fired our most experienced bartender at work so now the buck falls to me. This means I will be working more than I already am and while the prospect of more money is certainly appealing I am valuing my time much more than my coffers at this point. I've worked hard enough to have a very comfortable and relaxing holiday season and I want to enjoy it. I am fearful I will have spent my late 20's working and my personal relationships suffering as a result. I know my girlfriend is probably annoyed she sees me as little as she does even though she won't say it. I don't deserve her patience and sincerity.

I'm going to happy hour with the ex. We've been friendly as of late and it's good to have her as a friend again. I can bounce ideas and have conversations with her that I cannot with anyone else. Being with my current company makes me especially cognizant of that. I always say I will write more and then I always never do, so I will make no such promise this time around except to say that I am aware of my lack of effort that can only be attributed to laziness. I can do better I just need more time than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment